Monday, October 31, 2011

Off the grid

View from my bedroom window
the morning of OCTOBER 29. What th'...?
It snowed hard here on Saturday afternoon and evening--wet and heavy, falling on trees that weren't yet ready for winter. Our area lost tons of trees, and our house lost power for 48 hours. It doesn't sound like very long, but we were shocked to recognize how much of what we do is electricity-driven. Everyone was home Sunday and Monday and we did some fun things, like cooking potatoes and popping popcorn in a fire pit in the backyard. I figured out Fibonacci (more or less) and read lots more theory, at times by kerosene lantern.

Our power was restored at 4:30 this afternoon, but Comcast hasn't kicked back in, so now we're grabbing some free wireless in a parking lot behind a cafe in town. After I got over the initial shock, I thought that (except for my beloved MFA program) I wouldn't miss much if the internet exited my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment