Wednesday, October 26, 2011

More Theory: Creating the Field

100+ Posters 50+ Years Swiss poster exhibit
at VCFA Photo: Roger Crowley 
In the next section of the book, Armstrong introduces several designers' manifestos. Maybe because I tend to just jump into things, I love the idea of a manifesto--putting a declared statement of purpose and belief down on paper and using it as a guidepost. I had been teaching French to elementary school kids for several months before I found out that it would help my lesson plans a lot if I had OBJECTIVES--creating meaning and a reason for us all to be there. I suppose a manifesto isn't exactly the same thing, but it shares the trait of making things more purposeful.

The book includes manifestos from Martinelli, Rodchenko, El Lissitsky, Moholy-Nagy, and others I haven't gotten to yet. Martinelli's futurist manifesto is so vigorous and energetic--you can just feel the passion that lead him to want to smash the conventions of the past. Too bad about the hateful misogyny that shows up toward the end and that, sadly, doesn't stray too far from that ugly tradition.

Here's a beautiful quote from the constructivist Alexsandr Rodchenko. I might be taking this out of context, because I've never felt that I totally relate to the constructivists, but here goes:

"Work for life and not for palaces, temples, cemeteries, and museums. Work in the midst of everyone, for everyone, and with everyone."

No comments:

Post a Comment