Friday, October 28, 2011

Flummoxed by Fibonacci

I have just been struggling to understand what all the ratios in the Golden Mean and the Golden Rectangle are about. I looked at a couple of tutorial pages, but it has not yet clicked. I know, based on past experience with this kind of thing, that  I just have to keep looking and thinking and I'll suddenly get it. Many of the pages I have looked at say that these ratios are so wonderful, not only because they appear everywhere in nature, but because they're "easy" for people who have difficulty understanding math. Hmmm...

My 12-year-old son Evan, who supposedly has math disabilities, got it right away and has been drawing Golden Mean spirals all over the place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Loran,
    Found you through Brian's blog! How are you? You and Brian are definately on the ball with this blogging thing...I am such a newbie at this stuff.
    Being math challenged I couldn't come close to explaining the golden mean but am fascinated by it - I was actually reading this book last week at the residency http://www.amazon.com/Geometry-Design-Studies-Proportion-Composition/dp/1568982496. Check it out.
    It was great to meet you last week. Loved our discussion on the last night of the residency!

    ReplyDelete